Sunday 1 February 2009

Random thoughts...


Apologies to those who are awaiting pics of their new fig in Tradgardland. The two are here safe but as I put my back out yesterday I am taking it easy- stretched in an odd way when I was hanging out the washing... Photos to pe posted when I can reach the recesses of the cupboard to get the figs and scenery out...

I found a super new blog thru Jeffs eve links- Wars of Louis Quatorze . It is really worth a look and he has some superb stuff on it - late 17th C in America and Canada and loads and loads more feasts for eye and mind.

Watched "Atonement" last night and was really disappointed by it. I don't what I had expected but I was not impressed- probably I'm the only one! I wondered about the Dunkirk scenes but don't know enough - can you help?

Of late I have been sorting out my imagination armies. I have really fancied some old school looking cav but can't afford the size of units i wish. I have agonised about the lack of cav before I can have a good game but now have decided to go with the Front Rank figs I posses already. Not very old school looking but here and bought already. I think that I will go with what I have and worry later about some other cav later. So the table will be full of Front Rank cav and minifig,RSM, etc infantry. A fair old mix but hopefully willy provide a good game for me...

5 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, St. Maurice has been a work in progress for the past 34 years, and I've found that purchasing the troops in small orders has been well worth the wait. If you seriously consider this a collection, then go slow and enjoy it. Like I said, it works for me.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong at all with your miniatures Alan!
    Enjoy them!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan,

    I'm glad that you too like the "Wars of Louis Quatorze" site. I just found it a few days ago and added it to the "EvE" links.

    Indeed I fairly often find something that I think is worth looking at and add it . . . so it is a good idea to take a peek every once in a while.

    Since you are in the UK, you might want to keep an eye on the Minden Miniatures blog . . . Frank is starting to get into the mounted figures now . . . and they are impressive:

    http://mindenminis.blogspot.com/

    And, of course, they will go well with your RSMs.

    Another option is to consider some plastics. Stokes of the "Grand Duchy of Stollen" has lots of plastic cavalry . . . and they look very good.

    Anyway I'd just like to say that I very much appreciate your posts. Thank you.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your back feels better soon! I know how back problems can put a damper on things!

    As for the minis, as long as you have fun that's the main thing! I doubt the difference in manufacturers' styles will be that noticeable once you have them dashing around on the tabletop battlefield. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sympathise with your back problems, Alan. One time I put my back out just stepping over our dog.

    Like you I have a limited budget, especially when it comes to cavalry. I agree, slow and sporadic is ok as long as you have fun.

    ReplyDelete