Sunday 11 March 2012

Introducing the Family

I have risen after a rather late night yesterday. The family & I were entertained splendidly by my sister in law and her husband to celebrate Jan's 50th. Excellent food and company conjoined to produce a most memorable evening with wide ranging conversations and great fun too. Getting to bed very late (for me ) I am a tad weary this morning but want to share some of my current wargaming projects with you.

Of late I have been working on a number of projects -planning, preparing and making lists.I was also looking for a unifying theme /principle to run through this gaming and other diverse strands of the hobby world.  So what I have come up with is a imagi family as opposed to a imagination. This would generate characters to participate in many of my projects and be a somethinng reaching out through time and space if you know what I mean...

And so after much thought the LACY - COTTA  family came into my mind. A family tree is emerging from the dust and research of the archivist and what is emerging is one of the foremost military families of England. Gentlemen ( and of course black sheep) who served across Europe and made their mark upon armies  for better or worse.

Currently I am researching the Family role in the English Civil War ( staunch supporters of the King and Archbishop Laud) and the crisis known to history as the Civil War of 1938. Interesting archival material from Denmark is uncovering the Lacy -Cotta's role in the small Ducal army of Tradgardland too.

All this is conviently coinciding with attempts to paint some ECW figures in 54mm and try my hand at some other conversion work too.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent idea, it's these details that really make an imagi-nation or campaign come alive. Is the Lacey name from 'by the Sword Divided'? I'm looking forward to seeing your ECW figures
    cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike
    You have rumbled me- yes I have indeed been influenced by that super BBC tv series.
    However I feel the Lacey - Cottas would have looked own their noses at the Lacey family for not being Royalist or Laudian enough. They would not have let their eldest daughter marry into such dodgy family I am sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the Lacey Cotta's in any way related to that Ultra montaigne family, the 'Maniples'?? And possibly the cadet branch of the family, the 'Laudian-Falls'??

    The 'North-Ender's' are certainly not amused!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, it is an excellent idea. At hesse kassoulet blog I have included a royal faminly time line with the thought of fighting prior campaigns and battles. I like the way you have approached your family tree it will make for interesting campaigns.

    regards
    dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, it is an excellent idea. At hesse kassoulet blog I have included a royal faminly time line with the thought of fighting prior campaigns and battles. I like the way you have approached your family tree it will make for interesting campaigns.

    regards
    dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surely borrowing from something loved is a good thing and I like the idea of spanning both the ECW and VBCW with the same family but maybe differing factions.

    ReplyDelete