Tuesday 12 February 2013

A Grand day out...

Half Term has arrived at last! I have limped here with coughs,colds,a nearly lost voice and  extreme fatigue. I am off until next Monday thankfully.
I had a splendid day out with my wife yesterday- thanks Jan! We parked at the Gallery of Modern Art.
After this we walked along the Water of Leith to Stockbridge , past fascinating buildings and superb scenery  by way of the Dean  Village.When at school in Edinburgh I walked daily through the Dean Village in order to catch a bus home.It was a rather run down place then.It is now a rather fashionable place but still filled with quirky buildings old and new.We saw an advert (with a 20s/30s vibe ) being filmed and walked around the outside of one of my favourite buildings -Wells Court-
which was built in the 19th Century as charitable housing.It would make a splendid piece of wargames scenary or setting for a fantasy game I have always thought After a brief look in a bookshop in Stockbridge and coffee we returned to the gallery for lunch. We popped into a garden centre on the way home and bought a plants for the garden including Winter Aconite- which I am very fond of. I really enjoyed our outing and time spent together. Today (Tuesday) I am popping into a Viking exhibition at the National Museum of Scotland with artifacts from the National Museum of Stockholm on my own. Hopefully coming home to prepare some figures for my VBCW game on Friday against my long term opponent and his Liverpool Free State...

6 comments:

  1. Tradgardmastare,

    I hope that you manage to have a relaxing week off. I can remember how much half term holidays were a time to recharge ones batteries.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a jolly time. That building would make a lovely piece of terrain in 10 or 15mm.
    cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pleasant day out and about! I hope that you are feeling better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making notes for my visit to Scotland one day. Sounds quirky and wonderful. My wife enjoys modern art, and a visit to that gallery would be a good quid pro quo allowing me to go somewhere historical.
    Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your time off there Alan. What a lovely day you had, Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "When at school in Edinburgh I walked daily through the Dean Village in order to catch a bus home..."

    That school wouldn't happen to be either Daniel Stewart's or John Watson's by any chance?

    I live near to the Dean Village as a kid in the seventies and I and the Wate of Leith was one of our favourite places to play about. The Dean Village was very rundown and included woollen mill (closed suddenly after a fire) which we explored (and which makes me shudder now as I suspect it was a potential deathtrap!)

    ReplyDelete